Denise Maria Linton, DNS, APRN, FNP-BC
- Assistant Professor
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette, College of Nursing and Allied Health Professions
- P.O. Box 43810
- Lafayette, LA 70504
- EMAIL: email@example.com
- D.N.S. Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
- M.S.N. Columbia University, New York, NY
- B.S.N. Medgar Evers College, Brooklyn, NY
- Diploma in Nursing, Jamaica, West Indies (Graduation - 1986)
Post Graduate / Specialty Training
- VoiceThread Certified (2018)
- Johanna Briggs Institude Sytematic Review Certificate (2016)
- UL Certified Course Designer (2012)
- UL Certified Course Online Teacher (2011)
Licensure and Board Certifications
- RN in Louisiana(Active; 200 - Present) and New York (Inactive; 2005 - Present)
- NP in Louisiana (Active; 2001 - Present) and New York (Inactive; 1999 - 2000)
- FNP-BC (ANCC) (1999 - Present)
- Associate Professor, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, 08/2015 - Present
- Assistant Professor, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, 08/2009 - 05/2015
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by the International Nurses Association as a Worldwide Leader in Healthcare and Top Family Nurse Practitioner in Louisiana (2017)
- Rising Star Research Award – University of Louisiana at Lafayette Research Recognition Reception for 2014-2016 (11/2016)
- Certificate of completion in recognition of successful completion of the AANP Leadership program (9/2016)
- Tenured faculty at University of Louisiana at Lafayette (8/2016)
- Nurse Educator of the Year Award, the National Black Nurses Association (7/2012)
- Endowed Professorship - Dudley Plaisance, Sr./BORSF Professor in Nursing (9/2010 - Present)
- National Black Nurses Association Nurse Educator of the Year
- Baton Rouge District Nurses Association Celebrate
- Distinguished Faculty Award, ULL Black Faculty and Staff Caucus – Lafayette, LA
- Dudley Joseph Plaisance, Sr./BORF professorship in Nursing
- The Outstanding Doctoral Student Award, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-New Orleans
- Nursing Caring Award- Graduate Student, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-New Orleans
- Inclusion in Who’s Who among Students in American Universities & Colleges
- Inclusion in United Who’s Who Registry of Executives & Professionals
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Alpha Kappa Phi Honor Society
- American College of Nurse Practitioners
- American Nurses Association Member
- Louisiana State Nurses Association
- Columbia University Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association
- LSU Alumni Association
- Phi beta Delta Honor Society
- Southern Nursing Research Society
- American Nurses Association/Louisiana State Nurses Association
- Louisiana Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Sigma Theta Tau: Alpha Zeta
- Medgar Evers College Alumni Association
- Columbia University School of Nursing Alumni Association
Areas of Research Interest
- Cervical cancer prevention
- Health promotion
- Distance Education
- Sitting Time
Selected Publications & Presentations
Book Chapters – Refereed
Bucholz, S. W., Linton, D. M., & Courtney, M. R., & Schoey, M. E. (2016). Systematic reviews. In J. R. Bloch, M. R. Courtney, M. L. Clark. Practice-Based Clinical Inquiry in Nursing: Looking Beyond Traditional Methods for PhD and DNP Research. New York: Springer
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Linton, D & Taylor, S. (2019. The human papillomavirus vaccine expanded to middle age adults. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 15(7), 530-531. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2019.04.006
- Linton, D. (January, 2019). Hypercalcemia: Incidental finding in a postmenopausal woman. The Clinical Advisor. 15-17
- Linton, D. M. (2017). Human papillomavirus (cervical cancer) vaccine update. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 13(2), 176-177.
- Linton, D. & Ellison R. (2017). Abnormal Pap test follow-up in a 30-year-old woman. Clinical Advisor. Available at https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home/features/clinical-challenge/abnormal-pap-test-follow-up-in-a-30-year-old-woman/
- Linton, D. & Mitchell, Sheryl. (2016). Physical Examination of the Eye: The fundus matters. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 12(8), e371-e372. Doi:10.016/j.nurpra.2016.06.015
- Hurst, H. M. & Linton, D. M. (2015). Preconception care: Planning for the future. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 11(3), 335 – 340. Doi:10.1016/jnurpra.2014.09.011
- Linton, D. (2014). Beliefs Related to the Follow up of Abnormal Pap Test Result. The Journal of the National Black Nurses Association, 25(1), 15-19 (Invited)
- Linton, D. M. (2011). Diagnosing GERD in older children. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(4), 328 – 329. Doi:10.1016/j.nupra.2011.01.007
- Sudduth, A. & Linton, D. (2011). Gynecologic Care of Women with Disabilities: Implications for Nurses. Nursing for women’s Health, 15(2), 138-148. Doi: 10.1111/j.1751-486X.2011.01622.x
- Linton, D. (2010). Pap smear intention among rural Southeast Louisiana women. Doctoral Dissertation, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Nursing, NewOrleans, Louisiana
- Linton, D.M. (2010). Early Detection of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Women. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 6(6), 475-476
- Linton, D. (2009). Evidence based practice: Cervical cancer screening interval. Clinical. Journal of Oncology Nursing. 13(2), 235-237.
- Linton, D. (2009). Obtaining a Pap smear in the elderly client. The Journal for Nurse. Practitioners, 5(3), 220-221.
- Linton, D (2007, May). Nurses can impact preventative health. The Student Voice, 4(2).
- Oral presentation - Panelist at “New directions for Louisiana cancer control” sponsored by the Louisiana Cancer Control Program, Region 4 at Lafayette, Louisiana in April 2011
- Oral presentation - Collaborating with an organization in women’s health at Delta Eta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau Accent on Scholarship, Lafayette, La (12/2010)
- Oral presentation - Increasing Pap smear utilization rates among Southeast Louisiana women at Louisiana Association of Nurse Practitioners (LANP) 16th Annual Primary Care Conference, Shreveport, La (10/9/2010)
- Poster presentation - National Cervical Cancer Coalition: Louisiana Chapter at UL Lafayette 4th Annual Women’s Conference 3/2011, Lafayette, Louisiana
- Poster presentation - Promoting Pap smear utilization at the American College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP) 2010 national clinical conference, Tampa, Florida (10/10).
- Oral Presentation: Predicting Intention to Obtain a Pap Smear among Women in Two Rural Southeast Louisiana Parishes. Lafayette, La.
- Oral Presentation: Validity Testing of the Pap Smear Intention Questionnaire. Lafayette, La.
- Oral Presentation: Pap Smear Intention Among Rural Southeast Louisiana Women. Fourth Annual Accent on Scholarship: A Tribute to Helen Sloan. University of Louisiana at Lafayette, C0-sponsired by the Delta Eta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau
- Oral Presentation: Determinants of Cervical Cancer Screening Among Rural Southeast Louisiana Women. Dr. Connie Logan Research Day, Southeastern Louisiana University – Baton Rouge.
- Poster Presentation: Pap Smear Intention Among Rural Southeast Louisiana Women. LSUHSC School of Nursing and Ochsner Clinic Foundation Nursing Research Committee. Fall Nursing Scholarship and Research Forum Scholar’s Day, LSUHSC-New Orleans.
- Poster Presentation: Determinants of cervical cancer screening among rural Southeast
Louisiana women. Scholar’s Day, LSUHSC-New Orleans
Selected Funded Projects and Research
- Linton, D., Edmonds, A., & Ellison, R. (2019). Abnormal Pap Test Result Follow-Up among Rural Women: A Pilot Study. Department of Nursing Research Pilot Grant Proposal Award Principal investigator.
- Johnston, D., Linton, D., Hill, J., & Taylor, C. (2018). National Institute of Health/American Association of Colleges of Nursing All of Us Research Program Mini-grant Award.
- Linton, D. (2018). Referents, Salient, and Control Beliefs Related to Pap Smear/Test Intention among Jamaicans. Principal investigator.
- Linton, D. & Broussard, L. (2017 – 2018). Health indicators associated with sedentary activities in University Employees. Principal investigator
- Linton, D. & Ellison, R. (2017 – 2019). An intervention to increase Pap test knowledge among college students. Principal investigator
- Linton, D. (2015). Educational Grant Award: Virtual simulation for first semester clinical family nurse practitioner students (Cervical Smear and Bimanual Pelvic Examination).
- Research Grant Award from Delta Eta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International - Referents, Salient Control Beliefs Related to Pap Smear Intention
- UL at Lafayette Step Grant award – Using DVD technology to promote clinical knowledge,
skills, and attitudes among nursing students.
- Abstract and Grant Reviewer Sigma Theta Tau International
- Abstract reviewer Southern Nursing Research Society
- Abstract reviewer for Sigma Theta Tau International
- Reviewer Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing
- Provider Approval reviewer for continuing education LSNA