Lorinda J. Sealey, PhD, RN
- Assistant Professor
- Southeastern Louisiana University
College of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Hammond, LA 70402
- PHONE: (985)- 549-5045
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Louisiana State University
- M.S. Arizona State University
- B.S. University of Texas at Austin
Licensure and Board Certifications
- Registered Nurse in Louisiana.
- Certified in Maternal Newborn Nursing by the National Certification Corporation for
the Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing Specialties (NCC)
- Assistant Professor, Southeastern Louisiana University, College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Honors & Awards
- Hewell Perkins Fellowship Louisiana State University
- National Nursing Honorary Society
- Nominated for President's Award for Excellence in Teaching, Southeastern Louisiana University
- Nominated for Louisiana Nurses Foundation's Nurse Educator of the year Award.
- Recipient of Baton Rouge District Association's Helen Johnson Creemens Excellence in Teaching Award
- American Nurses Association
- Louisiana State Nurses Association
- Baton Rouge District Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau, Rho Zeta Chapter
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
Areas of Research Interest
- Professional Socialization of Students and Graduates of Second Degree Nursing Programs. A quantitative cross sectional study in data analysis.
- The Lived Experience of Southeastern and UNAH Students Working Together: A Model for Study Abroad. A qualitative phenomenological study.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Sealey, L., Hathorn, D., & Wafer, M. (2012) The lived experience of Southeastern and UNAH students working together. Submitted to the The Qualitative Report. Under review.
- Carruth, A. Levin, J., Gilmore, K. Bui, T., Gallardo, G., Evert, W. & Sealey, L. (2010). Cultural influences on safety and health education among Vietnamese fishermen. Journal of Agromedicine, 15, 375-385.
- The lived experience of Southeastern and UNAH students working together. Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, Rho Zeta Chapter. 2011.
- Professional Socialization of Second Degree Students. Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, Rho Zeta Chapter, Annual Connie Logan Research Day. 2011.
- Developing Cultural Competence in Health Care. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, Presented to LSU Student Organisation: Multiculturalism in Health Care. 2010.
- The Lived Experience of Nursing Students from the United States and Honduras Working Together: A Model for Study Abroad. Universidad Aut-noma de Honduras (UNAH), School of Nursing, Tegucigalpa. 2010.
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. "Developing cultural competence in health care" presentation for Multiculturalism in Health Care student organization, 2010.
- A Model for Study Abroad: American and Honduran Nursing Students Working Together. Our Lady of the Lake, Regional Medical Center, Baton Rouge, LA, sponsored by BRDNA. 2010.
- The Lived Experience of Nursing Students from the United States and Honduras Working Together: A Model for Study Abroad. Indianapolis, Indiana. Sigma Theta Tau International, Biennial Convention. 2009.
- Levels of Nursing Education and Practice in the United States. Colegio de Enfermeras (Board of Nursing), Tegucigalpa, Honduras. 2009.
- Board of Nursing Tegucigalpa, Honduras: Levels of Nursing Education and Practice in the United States, 2008.
- Developing Cultural Competence. Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, Baton Rouge. 2007.
- Working With Interpreters. Earl K. Long Medical Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. A continuing education offering for Nurses and Allied Health personnel. 2007.
- SLU, Baton Rouge Center: "Caring for Latino Clients: The Basics about Language and
Selected Funded Projects & Research
- Advance Education Nursing Traineeship Award, HRSA. Funded 2011 - 2012; 2012 - 2014.
- Using Technology to Enhance Communication between Nursing Students and the Hispanic Community. SLU, Center for Faculty Excellence Innovative Teaching Initiative (CITI) Grant. 2009.
- Lived Experience of Southeastern Nursing Students Working with UNAH Nursing Students in Honduras: A Model for Study Abroad. Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing - Rho Zeta Chapter. Research grant. 2009.
- Pryor, S., Sealey,L. & Tilman, K. Accelerated Nursing Programs. SLU Faculty Development Grant. 2008.
- Sealey, L. & Wafer, M. (co- Principal Investigators). Cross-Cultural Educational Interactions via Internet Videoconferencing. SLU Teaching Enhancement Grant. 2007.
- Teaching Students to Overcome Patient Language Barriers: A Web Based Approach. SLU - Center's Innovative Teaching Initiative. 2007.
- SLU Teaching Enhancement Grant, "Cross-Cultural Educational Interactions via-Internet Videoconferencing ", 2007.