Velma “Sue” Westbrook, DNS, MA, RN
- Nicholls State University
- College of Nursing and Allied Health
- P.O. Box 2143
- Thibodaux, LA 70310
- PHONE:(985) 448-4687
- D.N.S. Louisiana State University Medical Center
- M.N. Louisiana State University Medical Center
- M.A. Nicholls State University
- B.S.N. Northwestern State University
Licensure and Board Certifications
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing – Registered Nurse
- Dean/Professor, Nicholls State University
Honors & Awards
- Certificate of Recognition by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals/Office of Public Health for Invaluable Service and Contributions to the Louisiana Office of Public Health Nursing Services.
- Certificate of Recognition by the Prevention Partnership for Working Toward a Healthier Lafourche with Children, Health, Leadership, History, Learning, Values, Family , Prevention, Schools, Spirituality, Jobs, Future, Commerce, culture, Housing, Environment, Growth, Justice, Seniors, Recovery, Peace, Quality of Life. (The Prevention Partnership is business and community leaders working together bringing to Lafourche a new vision of human potential).
- Presidential Award for Academic Administrator Excellence
- Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society of Nursing, Xi Zeta Chapter, Excellence in Leadership
- Louisiana State Board of Nursing, Member, Education Rep.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- National League for Nursing
- Louisiana Council of Administrators in Nursing Education
- SREB Council on Collegiate Education for Nursing Education
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Westbrook, V. Unspeakable losses: Miscarriage and perinatal death. In B. Poor and G. Poirrier (Eds.), End-Of-Life Nursing Care. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Inc. and National League for Nursing Press.
- Westbrook V. Survey of the type and frequency of abuse and the psychological dimensions of self-esteem, depression, and self-blame among abused women in southeastern Louisiana. Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Westbrook, V. Personal development. In J. Theriot (Ed.), Exploratory Family and Consumer Sciences Curriculum Guide 7th Grade, Bulletin No. 1971 (pp. PD-1-85). Louisiana Department of Education, Office of Vocational Education.
- Westbrook, V. Personal development. In J. Theriot (Ed.), Exploratory Family and Consumer Sciences Curriculum Guide 8th Grade, Bulletin No. 1972 (pp.PD-1-85). Louisiana Department of Education, Office of Vocational Education.
- National Presentation: “Meeting ANCC Criteria With a Quality Assessment and Improvement
Program”. Conference on Competence and Innovation: Intersections in Professional
Nursing Education. Sponsored by Villanova University College of Nursing, Rutgers
State University of New Jersey college of Nursing, and the University of Pennsylvania
School of Nursing; Atlanta, GA.
Selected Funded Projects and Research
- Partnership between State of Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals Office of Public Health, Maternal and Child Health Program to expand the Nurse-Family Partnership Program to address low birth weight and poor prenatal care for reducing infant mortality in Louisiana – funded grant
- Partnership between Acadian Ambulance, State Department of Labor, and Nicholls State University to Articulate Emergency Medical Technicians-Paramedic to Registered Nurses with an Associate of Science degree-funded grant
- Board of Regents Support Fund Undergraduate Enhancement Proposal for Nursing Technology Enhancement-funded grant